PDA

View Full Version : Extruded vs. Sintered Bases

SnoChica
07-22-2005, 02:24 AM
I read this tonight and wondered what everyone has to say about the different base types. Both my boards are sintered so I can't compare.

"Most Snowboard bases are made from a polyethylene material called P-Tex. These bases are either "sintered" or "extruded" type. Extruded bases are melted and cut to shape. They are long lasting and easy to repair. However, the extruded type of base is the slowest and holds less wax than the other types of bases. Sintered bases, on the other hand, are first grounded into powder, heated, pressed, and then sliced into shape. A sintered base is superior to the extruded base - it's more durable, faster, and holds wax better. Even so, it's more expensive and difficult to repair.

If you're looking for high performance, opt for a Snowboard with a sintered base. Then again, if you're on a tight budget, an extruded model will do. "

e.
07-22-2005, 04:41 AM
the only time i would want an extruded base is if i wanted a crappy rail board to hit up around town.

SnoChick
07-22-2005, 05:18 AM
Sintered... I use an extruded (my old crappy kiddie board) for rails because I don't care if I bang it up... or I use it as a rock board for beginning of season too.

Gumby21
07-23-2005, 02:17 PM
heh heh....i had never heard of sintered/extruded before

e.
07-23-2005, 04:42 PM
really?...and u own a snowboard?

Gumby21
07-24-2005, 03:06 AM
yep....k2 ambush 160, i think it's the one from 2004....i don't remember exactlys what year....posibly 2003

i think my next board will be a 157 though, and more flexible...i was lookin and the k2 union looks nice...but it comes in 159, not 157

i also want to check out some other brands....didn't really see anything that caught my eye from burton...of course, i shouldn't need a new board for quite some time

Proximate Platypus
07-24-2005, 06:12 AM
I'd like to know what kind of base mine has, but since I got it used....
I guess I could always contact the manufacturer though.
If I had a choice, sintered would be the way to go for me since I don't jib anyhow.

Grill
07-25-2005, 03:02 PM
Sintered (as if there's any other answer). I hear extruded bases are wicked on gravel.

Levi
07-27-2005, 03:31 AM
What about graphite bases? I might not know what I'm talking about but I think they are most of the black bases and they are really fast. Both my Palmer and Salomon have graphite bases.

gerard
07-27-2005, 03:53 AM
Most Snowboard bases are made from a polyethylene material called P-Tex. These bases are either "sintered" or "extruded" type. Extruded bases are melted and cut to shape. They are long lasting and easy to repair. However, the extruded type of base is the slowest and holds less wax than the other types of bases. Sintered bases, on the other hand, are first grounded into powder, heated, pressed, and then sliced into shape. A sintered base is superior to the extruded base - it's more durable, faster, and holds wax better. Even so, it's more expensive and difficult to repair.

If you're looking for high performance, opt for a Snowboard with a sintered base. Then again, if you're on a tight budget, an extruded model will do.

Another type of Snowboard base that is better than the sintered P-Tex base is a "graphite" base. Graphite base is the fastest type of Snowboard base and has a higher capacity to hold wax. In a graphite base, graphite is added to the polyethylene pellets that are used to make the base. This type of Snowboard base is always deep black and is mostly found on fast racing boards.

gerard
07-27-2005, 03:57 AM
What about graphite bases? I might not know what I'm talking about but I think they are most of the black bases and they are really fast. Both my Palmer and Salomon have graphite bases.

That is a good question. I guess it could be that graphite is more for racing rather then freeride.

Levi
07-27-2005, 05:46 AM
Both my Palmer and Salomon are freeride boards with graphite bases.

Grill
07-27-2005, 01:43 PM
Another type of Snowboard base that is better than the sintered P-Tex base is a "graphite" base. Graphite base is the fastest type of Snowboard base and has a higher capacity to hold wax. In a graphite base, graphite is added to the polyethylene pellets that are used to make the base. This type of Snowboard base is always deep black and is mostly found on fast racing boards.

Sounds like the same process used to add Gallium to bases. So is a heat displacement additive better than a friction reduction additive? (Yes, I see the irony in that statement so please don't point it out)

Never_Autumn
07-29-2005, 01:39 AM
I was looking at K2 boards and they have quite a selection of Extruded boards in their line up. Just an FYI. Was bored at 3 am and couldn't sleep.

ADRsk8boarder
01-08-2006, 03:37 AM
hha yea i use my ****ty lamar from when i was 10 for street riding in tahoe

BadassBunny
01-08-2006, 03:41 AM
I've used wax that has graphite in it. It's black.

Anyways, both my boards have a sintered base.

TheHamburglar
01-08-2006, 06:51 AM
i actually learned something from this post, i had no idea what the difference was, or evern what they were. Well anyways its sintered for me

ADRsk8boarder
01-08-2006, 02:23 PM
i actually learned something from this post, i had no idea what the difference was, or evern what they were. Well anyways its sintered for me

haha thats how it usually goes on in the posts